Pristina, Kosovo Report of what it's like to live there - 02/24/16
Personal Experiences from Pristina, Kosovo
1. Are you the parent of a child(ren) attending this school? A teacher at the school? Or both?
2. What grade or grades do/did your children attend at the school? During what year(s) did they attend the school?
3. During what years were you affiliated with this school?
4. What was your reason for living in the city where the school is located (e.g., government, military, corporate, NGO, retired)?
Wife from here and works for USAID project
5. Are other schools available to expatriates in this city? Why did you choose this particular school?
Best English school in Kosovo.
Admissions & Welcome:
1. Are the admissions and placement procedures clearly stated to prospective families, either on the school website or through other means of communication?
All procedures fully documented and overseen by Board
2. How would you rate the school's support and welcome/integration of new students and their families, and why?
A; have welcome parties, partner new with old students, invite parents to see school and meet others
Administration & School Procedures:
1. Describe the general climate of the grade level that you teach or your child attends:
Full of kids from all over the world with great teachers and teaching tools to excite their learning.
2. For the following attributes, down to the next blank box, grade your experience at the school on a scale of A (excellent) to F (unacceptable/terrible) and provide comments:<br><br>Overall fair and equitable treatment of all students and families:
A; a very inclusive family atmosphere
3. How is the overall communication between teachers and parents, and the administration and parents? How is communication facilitated?
Have individual class website and regular emails
4. Aside from school fees, are there required expenses such as uniforms, laptops/tablets, musical instruments, or field trips that parents are expected to cover? What are the approximate costs?
Lunch and bus and after school activities extra
5. Services for gifted students who need academic challenge and students with learning difficulties:
Adaptive and ESL learning available.
6. Availability and variety of after-school activities for various ages:
A ton and varies each session.
7. Maintenance of appropriately high standards for all students:
Consistent and high according to international testing and accredited standards
8. Homework assigned (quality, quantity):
Just starting to get some in kindergarten but sent instructions by teachers on how to complete with kids
9. Administration-parent communication:
PTA is active and quarterly General Assembly meetings. Plus many one-on-one meetings. Board is 9 members so also communicates a lot.
10. Teacher-student communication:
I think good.
11. Academics, answer the following questions "yes" or "no" with an explanation if appropriate:<br><br>Are there any classes or subjects where students are not appropriately challenged?
12. Does your child receive any special-needs assistance or instruction at this school? If yes, what types? Who provides services and where:
13. Do you believe the special-needs assistance is appropriate and fills your needs? Explain:
14. Does the gifted and talented program meet the needs of students? Please explain:
15. Does the school offer a wide variety of elective or non-core classes such as art, music, and drama?
16. Are there academic requirements such as trips or other activities that cost money in addition to school fees?
Many are included or there may be a nominal fee
17. What activities do you feel are missing?
18. Have your children participated in the activities offered? If no, please indicate why:
Yes, cooking, Albanian, soccer, piano, arts.
19. Does the school provide appropriate assistance to new students?
Yes, great integration.
20. Please describe any problem areas or challenges in social interaction at the school:
Academics & Resources:
1. What personal or academic counseling resources are available at this school? Is there a dedicated college counselor at the school? Is he/she familiar with universities worldwide?
2. Does the school have a library? How large is it? How updated are the books? Can students borrow books to read at home?
Great library that gets renewed
3. How are information technology resources at the school. Are they up-to-date? Is there a computer lab?
computer lab and classes
4. Describe the physical education resources at the school. Is there a gym? A swimming pool? Are there playing fields or tennis courts available?
Good, but small inside gym - they are looking to expand.
5. What is the approximate teacher-to-student ratio in the grades that your child attended?
12:1 with a part-time assistant added, more or less.
6. Are Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses available in upper grades? If this is an IB school, is the full diploma required of all students?
7. Is the amount and type of homework generally appropriate for the age and grade of the students?
8. What fine arts electives are available (music, drama, visual arts)?
Have classes both during school and as after-school activities
9. Are the teachers at the school required to speak English as a first language--or at least fluently?
Yes, and tested.
10. What services are available for gifted/advanced students at the school? Please describe your experience with these services, if applicable.
11. What extra-curricular activities (including sports) are available at this school? Have your children participated in these activities? What activities do you feel are missing at the school?
Yes, see website
Social & Emotional Well-Being:
1. Do expatriate students socialize with local students at the school? Are both groups successfully integrated into the school culture?
Yes, depending on lifestyle of parents.
2. Are there are any problems with exclusionary behavior, cliques, or bullying at this school? Please describe any problems your children may have experienced in this area.
1. What is the greatest strength of this school?
Great big family with top teachers and place where kids love to learn. My son is always racing out to wait for bus with backpack.
2. Greatest challenge?
Ends after 5th grade...
3. Would you choose this school again? Why?
Yes, my son loves it. Will send my daughter soon.