Bridgetown, Barbados Report of what it's like to live there - 11/22/11
Personal Experiences from Bridgetown, Barbados
1. Was this post your first expatriate experience? If not, what other cities have you lived in as an expat?
no, Vienna, Austria, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Singapore, Singapore
2. What is your home city/country? How long is the trip to post from there, with what connections? How easy/difficult is it to travel to this city/country?
Florida, 3.5 hours
3. How long have you lived here?
2 and half years
4. What brought you to this city (e.g. diplomatic mission, business, NGO, teaching, retirement, etc.)?
Housing, Groceries & Food:
1. What is your housing like? What are typical housing sizes, locations, and commute times for expatriates?
decent homes, close and far from work, traffic is terrible. 3 miles to work and it takes 45 minutes. if there is a wreck, it might take you 2 hours. The rules is that no cars can leave the scene of the accident. Idiotic!!!!
2. How would you describe the availability and cost of groceries and household supplies relative to your home country?
Laugh!!! everything is triple in price and not many choices
3. What household or grocery items do you wish you had shipped to post?
swimming gear, paper products, canned food, soaps and about everything else.15,000 lbs worth
4. What typical restaurants, food delivery services, and/or takeout options are popular among expatriates?
none and i mean none!!!!!! KFC and it is 3 times then price from the USA.
5. What kinds of organic, vegetarian and allergy-friendly foods are available, such as organic produce, gluten-free products, meat substitutes for vegetarians, etc?
6. Are there any unusual problems with insects or other infestations in housing?
rats, african snails, mosquitos and centipedes
1. How do you send and receive your letters and package mail? Are local postal facilities adequate?
by us post office at the embassy
2. What is the availability and cost of household help, and what types of help are typically employed by expatriates?
3. What kinds of gyms or other sports/workout facilities are available? Are they expensive?
yes, but expensive
4. Are credit cards widely accepted and safe to use locally? Are ATMs common and do you recommend using them? Are they safe to use?
atm's are safe, cards are taken at the high-priced diners but many do not take them.
5. What English-language religious services are available locally?
6. English-language newspapers and TV available? Cost?
all and very expensive
7. How much of the local language do you need for daily living? Are local language classes/tutors available and affordable?
8. Would someone with physical disabilities have difficulties living in this city?
1. Are local buses, trams, trains or taxis safe and affordable?
2. What kind of car do you recommend bringing to post, given the terrain, availability of parts, burglary/carjacking risks, etc.? What kind of car do you advise not to bring?
Phone & Internet:
1. Is high-speed home Internet access available? How long does it typically take to install it after arrival?
2. Do you have any recommendations regarding mobile phones? Did you keep your home-country plan or use a local provider?
1. Are qualified veterinarians and/or good kennel services available? Do animals need to be quarantined upon entry to the country? Are there other considerations regarding pets that are particular to this country?
2. Quality pet care available (vets & kennels)?
Employment & Volunteer Opportunities:
1. What types of jobs do most expatriate spouses/partners have? Locally based or telecommuting? Full-time or part-time? Can you comment on local salary scales?
2. What is the typical dress code at work and in public places? Is formal dress ever required?
Health & Safety:
1. Are there personal security concerns to be aware of at this post? Please describe.
no, just alot of bums stealing like purses, theft of homes
2. Are there any particular health concerns? What is the quality of available medical care? What medical conditions typically require medical evacuation?
HIGH and terrible.
3. What is the air quality like at post (good/moderate/bad)? Are there seasonal air quality issues? Does the air quality have an impact on health?
4. What is the overall climate: is it extremely hot or cold, wet or dry, at any time of year, for example?
Hot and humida 365 days a year. Hurricane season from June - November
Schools & Children:
1. What is the availability of international schools? What has been your general experience with them, if any?
no international school
2. What accommodations do schools make for special-needs kids?
3. Are preschools available? Day care? Are these expensive? What has been your experience with them, if any? Do the schools provide before- and/or after-school care?
4. Are local sports classes and/or activities available for kids?
1. What is the relative size of the expatriate community? How would you describe overall morale among expatriates?
2. Morale among expats:
3. What are some typical ways to socialize, either with local people or with other expatriates? Are there groups or clubs that you can recommend?
4. Is this a good city for single people? For couples? For families? Why or why not?
familes is ok, singles no way! couples if you like the beach.
5. Is this a good city for LGBT expatriates? Why or why not?
6. Are there problems with ethnic, race/racial minorities or religious prejudices? Gender equality?
yes, racism is very likely to happen to you if you are white.
7. What have been the highlights of your time in this country? Best trips or experiences?
Swimming and that is it!!!
8. What are some interesting/fun things to do in the area? Can you recommend any “hidden gems"?
The beaches is it!!
9. Is this a "shopping post"? Are there interesting handicrafts, artwork, antiques, or other items that people typically buy there?
10. What are the particular advantages of living in this city?
11. Can you save money?
are you kidding!!!no way!!!!!!!
Words of Wisdom:
1. Knowing what you know now, would you still move to this city?
2. If you move here, you can leave behind your:
3. But don't forget your:
4. Do you recommend any books or movies about this city/country for those who are interested in learning more?
5. Recommended movies/DVDs related to this city: