Accra, Ghana Report of what it's like to live there - 03/01/22
Personal Experiences from Accra, Ghana
1. Are you the parent of a child(ren) attending this school? A teacher at the school? Or both?
2. What grade or grades do/did your children attend at the school? During what year(s) did they attend the school?
ECC (Kindergarten), 2021-present
3. What years did you live here?
4. What was your reason for living in the city where the school is located (e.g., government, military, corporate, NGO, retired)?
5. Are other schools available to expatriates in this city? Why did you choose this particular school?
Yes, this is the State-sponsored school with the IB curriculum.
Admissions & Welcome:
1. Are the admissions and placement procedures clearly stated to prospective families, either on the school website or through other means of communication?
2. How would you rate the school's support and welcome/integration of new students and their families, and why?
Excellent, lots of communication
Administration & School Procedures:
1. How is the overall communication between teachers and parents, and the administration and parents? How is communication facilitated?
Excellent, there's a school app with lots of information, a reminder email on Tuesdays and Fridays
2. Aside from school fees, are there required expenses such as uniforms, laptops/tablets, musical instruments, or field trips that parents are expected to cover? What are the approximate costs?
For elementary (Kindergarten), no extra fees. No uniforms (you can buy a gym shirt but it's not required).
Academics & Resources:
1. Does the school have a library? How large is it? How updated are the books? Can students borrow books to read at home?
Yes, kids have library day each week and can check out books, very modern and updated
2. Describe the physical education resources at the school. Is there a gym? A swimming pool? Are there playing fields or tennis courts available?
LCS campus is very nice. They have a huge green field for sports, a large pool for swimming, basketball courts, playgrounds, and sand pits
3. What is the approximate teacher-to-student ratio in the grades that your child attended?
20 children and 4 teachers, so 5:1
4. Are Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses available in upper grades? If this is an IB school, is the full diploma required of all students?
5. Are students generally challenged appropriately by the curriculum? Please describe any particular strengths or weaknesses in this area. Do you have any thoughts how the curriculum is applied and implemented at this school?
Curriculum is robust for kindergarten
6. Is the amount and type of homework generally appropriate for the age and grade of the students?
no homework for kindergarten
7. Are the teachers at the school required to speak English as a first language--or at least fluently?
1. What letter grade (ranging from A, excellent, to F, fail) would you assign to this school based on your overall experience? Would you choose it again?
2. Please tell us anything else you think prospective parents and students should know about this school. Thanks for your contribution!
I felt that LCS handled COVID very well in 2021-2022. We were not here during the peak of COVID but they really managed in-person learning well this year.