Dhaka, Bangladesh Report of what it's like to live there - 03/02/15
Personal Experiences from Dhaka, Bangladesh
1. Was this post your first expatriate experience? If not, what other cities have you lived in as an expat?
No - we've had two other government tours in Africa.
2. What is your home city/country? How long is the trip to post from there, with what connections? How easy/difficult is it to travel to this city/country?
Seattle, and it takes about 40 hours by air to get to post. You can fly over the pacific West coast hub to SEA-NRT-BKK-DAC
or over the Atlantic via Istanbul: IST-DAC.
3. How long have you lived here?
4. What brought you to this city (e.g. diplomatic mission, business, NGO, teaching, retirement, etc.)?
Housing, Groceries & Food:
1. What is your housing like? What are typical housing sizes, locations, and commute times for expatriates?
Most of the housing consists of apartments.
2. How would you describe the availability and cost of groceries and household supplies relative to your home country?
US$50. a week and you'll never go without.
3. What typical restaurants, food delivery services, and/or takeout options are popular among expatriates?
yes - US$10 will get you a fancy dinner.
4. Are there any unusual problems with insects or other infestations in housing?
Dengue is a constant threat.
1. What kinds of gyms or other sports/workout facilities are available? Are they expensive?
yes - at the clubs
2. Are credit cards widely accepted and safe to use locally? Are ATMs common and do you recommend using them? Are they safe to use?
more places are accepting credit cards, but it's a 80-90% cash society
3. Would someone with physical disabilities have difficulties living in this city?
Phone & Internet:
1. Is high-speed home Internet access available? How long does it typically take to install it after arrival?
yes - US$30 will get you fast internet
Employment & Volunteer Opportunities:
1. What types of jobs do most expatriate spouses/partners have? Locally based or telecommuting? Full-time or part-time? Can you comment on local salary scales?
2. What volunteer opportunities are available locally?
3. What is the typical dress code at work and in public places? Is formal dress ever required?
Health & Safety:
1. Are there personal security concerns to be aware of at this post? Please describe.
Random car bombings are common during hartels - general strikes - which are daily.
2. What is the air quality like at post (good/moderate/bad)? Are there seasonal air quality issues? Does the air quality have an impact on health?
During the rainy season it's better, otherwise in the dry season you can see air pollution particles.
3. What is the overall climate: is it extremely hot or cold, wet or dry, at any time of year, for example?
It's comfortable in the dry season - during the rainy season it's humid.
Schools & Children:
1. What is the availability of international schools? What has been your general experience with them, if any?
The American International School of Dhaka (AISD) is terrible for elementary school children- I'll add a detailed real school report.
2. What accommodations do schools make for special-needs kids?
3. Are local sports classes and/or activities available for kids?
not really, there are parent-led groups
1. Is this a good city for single people? For couples? For families? Why or why not?
2. Is this a good city for LGBT expatriates? Why or why not?
3. Are there problems with ethnic, race/racial minorities or religious prejudices? Gender equality?
4. What are some interesting/fun things to do in the area? Can you recommend any “hidden gems"?
5. What are the particular advantages of living in this city?
The food is good, and quality of life is high. People are friendly.